I have long wanted to make a sugee cake and finally baked one. I made this sugee cake for an engagement party! This rich sugee cake recipe yields a very rich and aromatic cake. It uses a lot of egg yolks and sugee (semolina) instead of the typically used self raising or All Purpose flour. You can also add in a bit of brandy for extra flavour but if you don't like the taste of liquor,you could add in a bit of orange zest instead.
Ingredients:500 gm butter
250 gm semolina
300 gm castor sugar
125 gm finely chopped almonds
60 gm sifted plain flour
15 egg yolks
5 egg whites
2 Tbsp brandy(optional) I used
1 Tbsp golden syrup
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp almond essence (optional) I did not use
Method:1. Fry semolina over slow fire till light brown and fragrant, then leave to cool.
2. Cream butter with 100 gm sugar till light and creamy. Add in golden syrup, Brandy and fried semolina and stir well. Leave to stand for 8 hours or overnight.
3. Beat egg yolks with 100 gm sugar until thick and lemon coloured, then add vanilla essence and almond essence. Fold in finely chopped almonds and sifted plain flour.
4. Beat egg whites with remaining 100 gm sugar and a pinch of cream of tartar till stiff.
5. Add egg yolk mixture to butter mixture and finally fold in beaten egg whites.
6. Pour into a 10″ square tin and bake in preheated moderate oven at 180°C for 1 hour
Recipe Adapted from : rosekitchen